Trinidadian Pelau (Seasoned Rice w/ Pigeon Peas & Chick'n)
- 1 pkg. New Breed Lightly Seasoned Chick'n
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 4 scallions chopped
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 2 cups brown rice washed and drained
- 1 can pigeon peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Prepare chick'n: Brown New Breed Lightly Seasoned Chick'n. Set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic, scallion, red pepper, carrot and celery, tomato paste, coconut sugar, salt to taste. Add to browned chick'n.
- Rinse rice and drain. Add to thick-bottomed pot and add sautéed chick'n, water, coconut milk, thyme, pigeon peas and salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil and a low simmer, covered, for 35-40 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Fluff cooked rice with a fork.
- Traditionally served with coleslaw.